Historically Glossop was a mill town creating employment for many not only in the immediate town, but also from surrounding areas. The mills have long since shut down, but Glossop continues to be a busy commuter town feeding both Manchester and Sheffield.
The Elim Church has been an active part of the community for many decades. Long before it became an Elim Church a strong centre of witness had been established dating back to the 1880’s. Its original founder was Pastor Richard Howton (a reformed prize fighter). He espoused a clear Pentecostal testimony for some years prior to the establishing of the mainline Pentecostal streams. The Church came into Elim in 1931 and has existed as a centre of Pentecostal witness since.
The Glossop Elim Church belongs to the Elim Foursquare Gospel Alliance, a movement which has hundreds of Churches throughout the UK and Europe and in many parts of the world. Although we greatly value our identity as a Pentecostal Church, we do enjoy very positive relationships with all of the Evangelical/Charismatic fellowships in the area, and we seek to work in partnership with all who share our commitment to the cause of the gospel.
Pentecostal testimony upholds the great historical truths of the Bible; in particular the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ and His power to save and to heal. Strong emphasis is made upon the work of the Holy Spirit as revealed in the book of Acts, Worldwide there in excess of 65 million Pentecostal believers and growing. The Elim Church in Glossop is part of this great international body of believers.
suggest mission statement here.